Volume Profile is an advanced charting technique that displays trading activity (Volume), accumulated over a specified time period, at specified price levels. This technique plots a histogram on the chart meant to reveal dominant and/or significant price levels based on Volume at Price over a specified period of Time. Essentially, Volume Profile compares and calculates the total volume traded at a specific price level during the specified time period, to the total overall volume for that same period. Then represents and displays this information as a vertical histogram making it easily visible to the trader.
“Dynamically Draw Volume Profiles” | AnyWhere on your Chart! | Between Any two Bars! | with a Simple Click!
Calculated and Displayed Levels of Significance:
– Value Area (VA) – The range of price levels in which a specified percentage of all volume was traded during the time period.
– Value Area High (VAH) – The highest price level within the value area.
– Value Area Low (VAL) – The lowest price level within the value area.
– Point of Control (POC) – The price level for the time period with the highest traded volume.
– Volume Weighted Avg Price (VWAP) – The price level the avg weighted volume traded during the specified time period.
– Previous Close (PC) – Last Closing Price Before Volume Profile Start DateTime.
– Profile High (HIGH) – The highest reached price level during the specified time period.
– Profile Low (LOW) – The lowest reached price level during the specified time period.
– Profile MidPoint (MID) – The midpoint reached price level during the specified time period.
Dynamic Profile Indicator Properties Settings
– Profile Type – Volume (VPO) or Time (TPO)(Beta)
– Profile Duration – Choose Between any number of Days, Weeks, Months, Contracts, Years, or Specify Specific Dates!
– Value Area Percent – User Configurable from 0 to 100 percent. (Default 70%)
– Histo Placement – User Configurable to Display on the Left or Right.
– Histo Width – User Configurable in static pixels (and soon to come Percentage of Profile Width)
– Histo Color – User Configurable to any Color and any Opacity
– Histo VA Color – User Configurable to any Color and any Opacity
– Levels All – Independent user Configurable Colors, Style, and Widths
Dynamic Profile ToolBar Icon DropDown Menu Settings
– Access DropDown Menu with a Single Click for Quick and Easy User Configuration
– Histo – User Configurable to Display on the Left or Right Hand Side of your Chart.
– Histo – Hide or Show Profile Histogram with Simple Click
– Levels All – Independently Hide or Show any Level and/or Histogram
– Levels All – Levels can be extended across the entire chart area.
Additional Summary Information Displayed below Profile:
– Profile DateTime Start
– Total Volume
– Total Delta
– Rotational Factor
– Total Range in $$, Ticks
– Current Net Change in $$, Ticks, and Percentage
ALL Plots Can be Quickly Hidden (INDIVIDUALLY and/or Altogether)
with a Single Click of the Mouse (thru dropDown Icon placed in NT’s ToolBar)
– ALL Plot Colors and Styles are Completely User Configurable!
– ToolBar DropDown Icon for Easy User Selectable Options and Adjustments Without Chart Refresh.
Volume Profile is an extremely valuable and versatile technical analysis tool that is used by trader’s all over the world. There are Numerous trading strategies out there using Volume Profile as a key component. One thing that many traders will use volume profile for is identifying basic support and resistance levels. To do this, the trader relies on, and analyses, past price movements and volume behavior. This type of methodology can be useful in assisting the trader to apply meaning or significance to price levels where the market has already visited.
The key to Volume Profile’s continued relevancy is its versatility. It is an advanced charting tool that truly does have a wide array of uses. Unlike many other techniques, there is little to no debate about Volume Profile’s usefulness. The data that is provided by Volume Profile is indisputable, leaving it to the trader to find new and creative ways to use it.